|Note: This page was updated with Version 39.66.3 of Project Zomboid in mind. If the page turns out to be outdated please add an outdated Notice banner.|
The Options menu allows the player to choose the settings for their display, audio, keybindings, etc., to meet those required for their system or personal preferences. A screenshot of it is shown to the right and each setting is described below.
- Toggles between full screen and windowed mode. If changing this setting does not switch, changing the resolution may fix it.
- Borderless Window
- Hides/Shows the window border and title bar (close button, etc.). (Requires restart)
- Vertical sync
- Synchronizes/Locks the framerate with that of the monitor for better stability. Will usually fix any screen tearing issues.
- Toggles whether or not the game will use more than one core or more than one processor in your computer. If you have a single core system or are having trouble with the game crashing, turn this off. (Requires restart)
- Allows you to turn on and off shaders. Turn this off if the game appears to run slow.
- Sets the display resolution for the game.
- 3D Models
- Defines how many models (Player + NPC) on the screen are displayed in 3D. Reducing will improve performance if there are more than the set number present.
- 3D Corpses
- Toggles between whether 3D or 2D corpses are displayed.
- Blood Decals
- Percentage of blood decals. Lowering this can improve performance/framerate.
- Lock Framerate
- Limits the number of frames per second the game tries to display. It is recommended setting this to 30 if the game appears to be running slow.
- UI Offscreen Rendering
- Toggles whether the entire user-interface is simulated when clipped offscreen. Disabling can improve performance.
- UI Rendering FPS
- The locked framerate at which the user-interface displays. Separate to lock framerate.
- Texture compression
- Enabling allows compression of all textures, improving graphics card memory (VRAM) usage. Disabling improves performance with the cost of graphics card memory (VRAM) usage. (Requires restart)
- Double-sized textures
- Allows the use of the 2x texture pack. Disabling will decrease texture quality while potentially improving game performance. (Requires restart)
- Lighting quality
- Allows adjustment of the lighting quality in game. Turn this down if the game appears to lag/run slow.
- Lighting updates
- The rate in which lighting will update per second in realtime. Increasing above 15 may decrease game performance.
- Enable Zoom
- Enables zooming with the the scroll wheel or the key binds.
- Zoom levels
- The desired zoom increments. Zooming is done in increments, therefore disabling one will skip that increment.
- Inventory font
- The font size of the inventory text.
- Tooltip font
- The font size of the tooltip text.
- Clock Format
- The date format the clock displays.
- Clock 24/12
- Toggles between 24 or 12 hours time format.
- Color of Highlighted Container
- Change the border color of a container when accessing its inventory.
- Chat Transparency
- Transparency of the chat window in multiplayer when the mouse isn't hovering over it.
- Dropdown box with a list of available languages to choose from.
- Sound volume
- Music volume
- Ambient volume
- Music Library
- Current Track
- Displays the track currently playing.
- Flies volume
- The volume of flies buzzing around corpses.
- Heart volume
- The volume level of the heart pounding when getting low on blood.
- Vehicle engine volume
- The volume of the vehicle engine. Note that this does not affect the ingame engine volume.
- Enable VOIP
- Enables/disables the ability to use VOIP, both listen and speak.
- Recording device
- Choose your system's installed recording devices to use in-game.
- VOIP mode
- Adjust whether to enable or disable listen and/or speak individually.
- Voice activity detected mode
- How sensitive the microphone will be at picking up sound. Often used to block background noise from being transmitted. [verify]
- Microphone boost
- Amplifies the input single of the microphone. Used if the voice is being picked up too quiet. May result in some minor distortion/static.
- Signal from microphone
- Voice volume
- Adjusts the level of other player's voices.
Each of the following key bindings are the game's defaults.
LSHIFTHold to run.
EPress to interact with nearby object. Hold for follow up action. Rapidly tap for emergency action.
- Rotate Building
RWhen building use to rotate building tile.
- Toggle Mode
TABRotates between each build/move mode.
- Cancel Action
ESCAPECancels the current action the player is performing.
LCONTROLHold for Aim/Sneak mode.
SPACEPerforms a melee shove or stomp.
- Rack Firearm
- Reload Weapon
RPress to reload a firearm.
- Start Vehicle Engine
NPress to attempt vehicle ignition.
- Toggle Vehicle Headlights
FPress to turn on/off vehicle headlights.
- Vehicle Heater
OPress to display vehicle heater panel.
- Vehicle Info
UPess to display vehicle info/condition.
HornPress to sound the vehicles horn.
- Vehicle Radial Menu
VPress to display the vehicle radial menu.
- Switch Seat
ZPress to display seat switch panel.
- Toggle UI
VAdds or removes the User Interface from the screen.
- Toggle Crafting UI
BDisplays or hides the crafting window.
- Main Menu
ESCAPEPauses the game and displays the Main Menu.
- Toggle Inventory
IOpens up or closes your inventory.
- Toggle Skill Panel
CDisplays or hides the skills window.
- Toggle Health Panel
HDisplays or hides the health window.
- Toggle Info Panel
JDisplays or hides the Information window.
- Toggle Moveable Panel Mode
- Toggle Music
MPauses or starts the in-game music.
- Take Screenshot
F10Takes a screenshot.
- Toggle Survival Guide
F1Displays or hides the tutorial window.
- Display FPS
KDisplays the frames per second. Good for benchmarking or diagnosing problems.
F2Pauses or unpauses the game.
- Normal Speed
F3Sets the in-game time to normal speed.
- Fast Forward x1
F4Sets the in-game time to 3x speed.
- Fast Forward x2
F5Sets the in-game time to 10x speed.
- Fast Forward x3
F6Sets the in-game time to 20x speed.
- Zoom in
EQUALSZooms the camera in closer to the player.
- Zoom out
MINUSZooms the camera out farther from the player.
- Equip/Unequip Handweapon
1Equips your best blunt weapon (rolling pin, crowbar, baseball bat, etc.).
- Equip/Unequip Firearm
2Equips your best firearm (shotgun, pistol, etc.).
- Equip/Unequip Stab weapon
3Equips your best stabbing weapon (butter knife, kitchen knife, etc.).
- Equip/Turn On/Off Lightsource
FEquips and turns on a light source, or if one is on, turns it off.
- Toggle Safety
- Local Chat
TFocuses the local chat, allowing proximity communication.
- Global Chat
YFocuses the global chat, allowing server-wide communication.
- Push-to-Talk key
LALTHolding allows VOIP.
QShouts a phrase to get attention.
- Toggle LUA Debugger
F11Displays or hides the LUA debugger.
- Toggle LSHIFT key to Run
- Enables toggle to run, i.e. don't need to hold the run key.
- Show/hide radial menus with each keypress
- Enables showing/hiding radial menus.
- Test Controller
- Allows testing the gamepad, displaying each button pressed, to ensure it is installed/working correctly.
- Checkbox enabling or disabling whether the game should use each gamepad currently connected to the player's system.
- Adjust the joystick sensitivity of the designated gamepad.
Reloading handguns refills the weapon provided there is ammunition available.
- Reload Difficulty
- Sets the reload difficulty.
- Easy: Reloading handguns refills the weapon.
- Medium: Reloading handguns ejects or inserts a magazine. The magazine must be reloaded separately.
- Hardcore: Reloading handguns ejects or inserts a magazine. The magazine must be reloaded separately. Weapons must be racked before firing to ensure a round is chambered.
- Show Rack Progress
- Show your username
- Enable or disable the player's username from being displayed above their head. Does not affect other player's usernames.
- Personal text Color
- Adjust the text colour displayed to other players. For simpler player identification.