For the list of upcoming features for future versions of Project Zomboid, see Upcoming versions
For verified planned additions, see Planned features.
||June 29, 2012
- Re-enabled character customization. (No character sprite atm though)
- Fixed a few weapons that have issues.
- Added frying pan as weapon properly. (no special sound yet can't seem to find a free one)
- Fixed bug that meant some weapons never have a 'hit' frame and thus never hit zombies.
- Planks stack once more.
- Add 1366x768, 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 resolutions
- Fixed issue with clip reloading. Remember HOLD R to load bullets, let go to put clip back in.
- Fixed death anim.
- Lowered initial zombie count. Still plenty though! Feedback welcome (It's hard since half want lots, half don't )
- Fixed tree/door chopping.
- Fixed hordes appearing indoors.
||June 29, 2012
- Still a couple of things in R not in this build, primarily the wheelie bin between cells and stopping 'lost in the woods syndrome' but they will be relatively quick to add so bear with any 'lies' on the R changelist for a day or two while we clean up any loose ends.
- This first version will be in good ol' batch format. Soon after will add the launcher, and finally (once I figure out how it works since I didn't make it) will add the win/linux/mac installers.
- As stated in another thread, this version does not have music. Sadly the music skipping issue became 1000x worse since the optimizations, and could barely get through the first ten seconds of a track. We'll fix this when we figure out a solution.
- The new blood system had to be removed until it can be optimized memory / speed wise.
- Be gentle. The game's engines have undergone a massive massive rewrite and hopefully the benefits will be obvious. Optimizations are bastards for causing bugs, and this has undergone some massive changes in the name of optimization. We may have new bugs to quash or a few teething problems on certain graphic cards.
||March 27, 2012
- Banished the stair death! If it is not gone (which hopefully it is) stair death should be MUCH less common now. This does not include falling from high floors through careless walking near edges, perhaps unfairly in certain buggy circumstances like missing bannisters.
- Main menu + stories back in. K&B is a little broken now no need to report bugs on it.
- Compatible with saves down to M only!!
||March 27, 2012
- BLOODY WINDOW/CURTAIN FIX BY GODS WE HOPE.
- Compatible with saves down to M only!!
||March 26, 2012
- Fixed bug with ovens not working.
||March 26, 2012
- Fixed shift click on curtains on west facing walls.
- Added some other important stuff that will be invisible to player but setting foundation for some future stuff. And that.
||March 25, 2012
- NOT SAVE COMPATIBLE WITH 0.2.0l!!
- Load/save sheet ropes.
- Load/save crates.
- Load/save full tile barricades.
- Rope sheets can be used one after the other to eventually reach the ground.
- Significantly lowered load/saving time. (doesn't include first time ever for map cell in a saved game)
- Sledgehammered walls should work properly on load now. Unconfirmed.
- Increased nail stack sizes a bit.
- Enforced straight running up and down stairs. Let us know if this improves/eliminates stair death problems.
- Fixed dropping dupe bug.
- Modding: Unrecognised params in item definitions will be put into lua moddata on any new inventory item. As a number if possible otherwise as a text string.
- Modding: UserModData for objects/inv items now loaded and saved in save file. Only numbers + strings tho.
- Modding: Added hook for cancelled timed actions.
- Modding: Exposed GameTime + InventoryItemFactory classes
||March 24, 2012
- More zombies in buildings.
- Added workaround error trapping around saving containers with something faulty in them, to cause *the world cut in half bug. This will still happen but should now just not load the contents of faulty container.
- Some other critical fixes don't want to list until they are confirmed fixed.
- Added ways of getting Strength XP.
- Stage 1 in UI nicefication. Quick 'put in container' / 'put in inventory' hover buttons for *inventory items in containers.
- Hotfix - Fixed double click crashes on containers.
- Hotfix - will no longer add random zombies on loading a map cell.
- A few more zombies on game start.
- "Quick grab" in containers to help with the fiddly double click. One click on a arrow to the left of the icon will straight away put items in your inventory
- Added game launcher, simple and easy to use.
||March 23, 2012
- Slowed down zombies in line with performance increase.
- Significantly lowered zombie spot chance.
||March 22, 2012
- Reduced starting zombies in town area further and slowed zombie migration speeds from outer cells.
- Zombie less likely to see you on upper floors.
- Fixed broken athletic / overweight traits.
- True directional zombie migration across a 100x100 grid of cells. Town full of zombies? Go north to the farm, will likely be quieter.Though zombies may migrate in on the south of the map the longer you're there. As more residential areas are added these will become game start hotspots of zombies.
- Possible fix to invincible zombies. Unconfirmed.
||March 22, 2012
- WARNING: Not save compatible with 0.2.0h.
- Added loading / saving text so people don't think it's crashed..
- Disabled fires completely. No more invisible fires.
- Proper zombie migration.
- Fridges and ovens ACTUALLY fixed this time.
- Fixed blood splat issues on reload.
- Food temps, cooked/uncooked, age etc saved out properly.
||March 22, 2012
- WARNING: Not savegame compatible with 0.2.0g!
- Fixed clicking when dead to restart game. Until this release always close game and rerun.
- Fixed floor items in saves.
- Fixed light switches on reload.
- Fixed XP / skills on reload.
- Fixed traits on reload.
- Fixed bin on reload.
- Fixed cooker / fridges.
- Fixed tree yield on reload.
||March 15, 2012
- Shift click open / closes curtains instead of windows.
- Fixed issues with apartment block stairwell / walls.
- Smashed windows cannot be opened.
- Saving on quit. EXPERIMENTAL.
- Surprise! 'Take the high road.' EXPERIMENTAL.
- Fixed zombie obsession with commercial district area.
- Fixed bug where zombie spawn points were missing resulting in zombies spawning at random map positions instead of map edges.
- (Hopefully) fixed freezing dying survivors whose legs fall off.
||March 13, 2012
- Fix bug where thirst isn't actually killing you.
- Fix to broken 'you survived for' time.
- Enabled character creation.
- Added temporary loading text to stop people thinking it's crashed.
- Same floor roofs turning off when inside.
- Fixed the buggy farm.
- Fixed barricading sticking / blocking bug.
- Increased container opening distance slightly to help with top diagonals.
- Because we figured out a quick fix. Blood splatter! (may be some mild bugs in this):
- Batteries fittable / removable for flashlights.
- Super powerful lua driven recipe system needed for above. Can do some really interesting recipes with this.
- You now get cooking XP from any crafting involving food items.
- M mutes music.
- Clicking window no longer open/closes curtains. Warning this may make certain open curtains more fiddly to click on. Not sure of a solution to this.
- Stopped right click doing carpentry building when carrying wood etc.
- Moddable professions and traits.
- Removed gamma correction as it caused problems on some people's particularly other platform machines.
||March 13, 2012
- NPCs will now favour doors over smashing windows.
- Bug causing NPCs to be able to run too far without tiring fixed.
- NPCs generally a bit braver.
- Clicking an item on an Non-player character will give them that item (or one off a stack)
- Changed endurance to be linked to actual speed not desired speed.
- NPCs better at staying fed.
- Fixed problem with placed stairs collision not working properly.
- Zombie use spawn points at side of map.
- Much fewer zombies at start. Extra zombies per day until they reach current (pre 0.2.0e) levels on day 5. May need balancing. Try the defines.lua in the media/lua folder if you want to play.
||March 12, 2012
- Opening / closing windows will no longer repair them.
- Fixed missing icons.
- Increased Non-player character dialogue speed.
- Fixed double size mode.
- Double size mode still has single size UI.
- Direction changer no longer interferes with double size toggle.
- Inconsistency between endurance on mouse and keys fixed.
||March 12, 2012
- Sleeping on couches
- Fixed invisible door syndrome
- Slower boredom increase.
- A few new recipes / item balancing.
- Fixed error where all but the tut house wheeliebin were not pushable.
||March 12, 2012
- Lowered zombie count some to tone down difficulty and help performance.
- NPCs chance of being 'loners' lowered a tad.
- Fixed bug where player's random 'loner' stat was used instead of NPCs, meaning if player rolled a high loner stat they would not likely find any NPCs who would join them.
- Increased priority follow behaviour.
- Multiplied bravery effect, and removed debug capping to 50% max bravery. Cowards will still run away rather than follow, but brave people are more likely to stick with you.
- Barricading / Sheet Rope fixed. Sheet ropes only work out of diag forward facing windows for now tho.
- Numerous map fixes.
||March 11, 2012
- Added crafting of Stairs, Walls, Door Frames, Window Frames, and Crates.
- Added ability to chop down trees with Axe to get Logs.
- Added ability to place wood floor tiles using one Plank, Hammer and Nails.
- Added mouse-only movement.
- Running now takes a couple of seconds to reach full speed and a second to slow down.
- Moodles system added along with ability to fill any container with water.
- Zombie and players can now travel through open windows.
- Players take fall damage based on how high a window they jump out of.
- Sheet Rope added to climb down buildings safely.
- Boredom moodle re-added.
- Stress moodle added.
- Unhappiness moodle added.
- Mood moodle added, and being in angry mood disables happy interactions with Non-player character's.
- NPC AI Overhaul including player-NPC interactions.
- Suppоrt for LUA scripting added.
- Added skills that level up with use.
- Pushable objects added.
- Wheelie Bins added.
- Map size quadrupled.
- Multi-cell map suppоrt.
- Map now consists of series of .lot files, which represent chunks of a map that can be inserted into any map.
- Lighting system and graphics overhaul.
- Functional lights/lamps added in most buildings.
- Weapons Added: Pencils, Pens, Kitchen Knife, Butter Knife, Sledgehammer, Spiked Plank
- Ability for sledgehammer to break through walls.
- New music and ambient sounds.
- Many more items and features added.
||September 7, 2011
- Fixed the 'infinisleep' bug.
- Hypochondria and uncooked food no longer cause damage and pain, just illness.
- Character creation button clicking fixed
||September 6, 2011
- Optimizations - Hopefully a ton less lag.
- Less rain.
- Various bug fixes.
- NPC tweaks – Less chance of hostile NPC. A bit more varied behaviour.
- Multi-stage barricades.
- Increased sound muffle effect of being in/out buildings or different rooms
- Slowed down horde movement.
- Added weapon durability and breakage.
||August 28, 2011
- Fixed weird zombie spawning.
- Fixed crash when full tile barricade is placed without a hammer equipped.
- Added missing dialogue to Raider scene in K&B story.
- Fixed character creation screen issue when double sized in previous game.
- Fixed zombies walking into walls.
- Fixed NPCs attacking thin air.
- Slowed down NPC walk speed.
||August 28, 2011
- Craftable doors. Smashed doors have a chance of dropping hinges and door knobs.
- Open doors now block vision/collide at their new angle.
- Professions and traits – initial character customization.
- Cooking food. Fully functional ovens.
- Food now goes bad. Refrigerators slow down the process. Eat consumables first!
- Chance of illness if eating spoilt or uncooked food.
- Bored and depressed moodles. Read books or magazines or go for a stroll outside to relieve boredom (more later). Eating cooked meals also * reduces boredom / depression.
- Curtains. Block view into building without needing barricades. Sheets can be used to make makeshift curtains.
- Various bug/crash fixes. Notably no more fire crashes.
- Burglar alarm on a couple of random buildings on the map.
- Barricading and crafting etc now takes time to complete. Alterable by different traits.
- A few more foods and cooking apparatus / crafting recipes.
- Customizable characters. Most of the legwork for the NPC update already done due to this.
- Sandbox mode / Adventures of Kate and Baldspot
- Moddable items, moddable crafting recipes, moddable item distribution, moddable maps, moddable costumes / characters.
- Rain gets you wet. Colds. Get a cold, coughing and sneezing draws zombie attention. Tissues will mute the sound you make.
- Wearable clothing.
- Jukebox – at moment with some old PAWS tunes. One day this system will allow in-game playing of music collection.
- Basic NPC's with basic controls (move, punch, run)
||June 19, 2011
- Adjustments and tweaks to Panic system.
- Fire Animation rate fix.
- Fire-system memory leak fixed.
- A bug un-spotted so far with the Clock has been fixed.
- Infection rates from zombie scratches and bites modified after _extensive_ testing.
- Memory leak in the rain system fixed
- Based on extensive play-testing - Fixes to incorporate the specific number of bruises, scratches, bites has been factored into the body damage calculations.
- Bug with moodles always being shown in the lower right on Hi-Res displays is now fixed.
- Body part status updated to reflect being on fire/burning.
- Alcohol helps you calm down and combat the panic-state moodles and their negative effects.
- Player can become drunk from consuming too much alcohol.
- Drunkenness moodles added.
- Mass mantis bug cleanup fix operation.
- Panic only triggers when a zombie comes into view closeby, not if it wanders closeby while in view. Panic still occurs if suddenly you see a ton of zombies, but only if you're outside or the zombies are inside the same building as you.
- Stumbling about like a buffoon when drunk.
- Fixed various LOS issues with walls / windows / doors.
- Changed 'time since seen zombie' code to avoid 'permazomb music' syndrome.
- Hallucinations cannot break down doors.
- Indoor ambush zombies are deaf and only respond to seeing player, to avoid them thumping at doors.
- Addition to panic system to aid in 'user empathetic response to character panic'
- Fix to mac log file problem stopping it working.
- Weather blending system to stop it from raining constantly.
- Fix to allow the drinking of booze by dropping it on the heart icon.
- Fix to bug in fire code.
- Fix to pain system, to allow pain to dissipate naturally once all body damage is gone and player is fully healthy.
- Sleeping clears the system of sleeping pills, beta blockers and anti-depressants.
||June 10, 2011
- Fixed ATI crash bug. We're not sure but this may cause a slight slowdown as it was an optimization that we had to remove to fix it. We'd like to hear how this affects anyone? We'll work on pulling back performance to what it was, but non-ATI owners have to admit this needed resolving fast.
- Fixed camera bug.
- Removed custom mouse pointers entirely, for now. Too many issues on macs and some PCs.
- Various zombie spotting chances changed. A player not moving inside a building will rarely be seen by a zombie from outside and higher floors the chances diminish too since zombies tend to look ahead.
- Sounds in buildings are muffled so don't travel as far outside.
- Some horde balancing / fixes.
- Some aiming tweaks.
- Reduced footstep range slightly.
- Zombie spotted music will not play if the zombies are miles away or many floors below you.
- Made the horde prefer outdoor locations and generally ignore doors without any stimulus from inside. They will on occasion disregard this inclination, to keep you on your toes. After all if a zombie starts thumping he'll attract attention from others. ** may need tweaks **
- Bug meaning scratches were 100% infection fixed.
- Removed accidentally left in 'debug shotgun shells'.
- Beta blockers, anti-depressants, sleeping tablets and extra effects for booze.
- Pills now work over time instead of immediately and can be stacked for faster / more powerful effect. No consequences... YET.
- M to toggle music on and off (in lieu of a real option screen)
- A secret thing.
||June 6, 2011
- N, E, S, W / NE, SE, SW, NW directional control toggle.
- Inventory grows to fill vertical space of sidebar.
- Fixed various bed related bugs. Added option to sleep to avoid accidental clicks, or to inform player why they can't.
- Fixed pot dupe bug.
- Fixed the death sound.
- Planks of wood will be useable melee weapons.
- A few stragglers aside, zombies flock together and slowly migrate around the map in one or more groups, meaning the zombie density around the map will differ massively, and this will change over time. This means that your safe-house may be left alone for some time before suddenly being in the centre of a massive shambling swarm.. This may need some balancing in future updates, but should provide more strategy to avoiding the horde.
- Scratches have only 25% chance of infection, and you will only find out a day or more later when you get queasy if you were infected. Bites are 100%.
- Added something little to the tutorial that was missed off due to time.
- You survived for...
- Bite / scratch / death sounds.
- Uhoh! Something that'll catch people out a fair few times before they adjust their plans slightly.
- Can barricade with hammer in your offhand. Forgetting to do this if you have wood selected and try and barricade a door, it will fail but NOT open the door to all the zombies you're trying to protect yourself against.
- Context sensitive clicking is disabled when CTRL is held.
- Beds can only be used when within 'open container/open door' range.
- Skipping tutorial will retain the 'safe zone' until you venture out, to make it a way of skipping the tutorial without punishing the player, making it a more attractive option.
- Experimental - Raised day length from 15 minutes to 20 minutes, now that there is the ability to fast forward. Doubled the speed of fast forward (CPU dependent).
- Food / pills can be eaten by putting them on the heart icon, in analog to putting things in inventory.
- Couches / sofas can be slept on.
- Eating / pill popping no longer clears item from mouse. So eating multiple is just multiple clicks.
- Restarting after death. Will skip front end and load the map again immediately. May cause obscure 'second playthrough' bugs from restart we'll have to deal with as they become apparent. May also be pushing it for memory on lower end PCs if the old map hasn't been garbage collected in time.
- The heart icon does a little wiggle (like the moodles) when you sustain injuries, as a reminder that you might need to tend to some new ailment.
- Mouse hotspot offset removed on Mac until proper cursors are working.
- Options file saved in lwjgl cache with game resolution. For those Mac users that need a different res for offline. Will have no effect when played in the browser.
- Random buildings / doors will be locked and only openable from the inside. Fire axe can attack doors. (Well everything can but most are ineffectual)
- Craftable full-tile barricades made from 2 plank + 2 nails + hammer. Exact #'s still to balance.
- Smashed doors either by player or by zombie yield some planks to pick up.
- Game pause/resume and speed control buttons on the hud.
||May 31, 2011
- Fixed invisible wife / running bug.
- Mousewheel suppоrt for inventory
- Rudimentary joypad control. Movement/attack/door interaction. This will be ongoing and it'll be a while before the entire game is playable purely with a joypad. Press A button to activate pad. Left thumb = sneak, walk, run. Right thumb = moonwalk/look around. Right bumper (on Xbox pad) = attack, A to interact with doors / containers. Compatibility on mac / different gamepads unknown.
||May 29, 2011
- Added 'speed up time' button (return) that will (PC power dependent) speed time up by a factor of ten. Useful for skipping cut-scenes, waiting out a night when not tired, or doing Benny Hill impressions.
- Tweaked zombie numbers to make it less immediately punishing. Days are now safer for longer, without sacrificing the danger of nights.
- Added arrow keys / right shift / control keys as alternates to WASD
- Lowered zombie path-finding range
- Made zombies have a chance of getting 'bored' banging doors and investigate other zombie sounds, thus making it feasible to wait out zombies at the door if they don't break it down in time and you make no further sounds.
- Added tutorial skip option that we're somewhat ashamed of thinking of and will probably become infamous. You'll see.
- Fixed Kate's dragged / dead frames which weren't working .
- Fixed infinite ammo bug.
- Player's footsteps now make sound audible to zombies. to compensate for this zombies have less peripheral vision.
- Double click to add to inventory.
- Repaired moodlets for bleeding, injury, pain etc.
- ESC skips dialogue for current conversation entirely.
- Potential fix to lag issues. Not definite or even probable but possible.
- Space will now open inventory and holding it will stop it from closing.
- RTS style control groups for equipped items. Shift+Ctrl+ 1-9 will store the current equipped items for that hotkey. Pressing 1-9 after will recall them if they are in your inventory. (shift + control is because you use control in battle so using ctrl alone would lead to accidental overwrites)
- Ctrl click will drop an entire stack into a container straight away instead of one by one.
- If you walk away from a container while holding one of its items on your mouse pointer, when it shuts the container it will add the item to your inventory and keep it on your pointer, instead of removing the item from your pointer.
- Some balancing of item weights.
- Improved moodle effects.
- Added 'encumbered' moodle.
- Bandages now stop health loss completely for that body part (until proper medical attention is in via NPCs/Skills)
- Pain threshold reduced to better warn of scratches etc.
- Increased wall transparency range.
- Line of sight now works when zombified.
||May 28, 2011
||* Pre-alpha tech demo is released to all pre-orders.
||March 15, 2011
||* Project Zomboid is officially announced