| A propane torch and welding mask
Metalworking is a skill which allows a player to barricade windows and doors, craft metal structures and containers, repair car parts, and disassemble many metallic objects in the world.
Materials used in metalworking can be found in containers throughout the world, or obtained by disassembling objects. These materials include:
Unless a character has started with the Metalworker occupation, they will also need to read the relevant metalworking magazines before items can be constructed.
The Metalwork Magazine Vol.1
|Teaches Recipes: Make Metal Walls, Make Metal Roof
The Metalwork Magazine Vol.2
|Teaches Recipes: Make Metal Containers
The Metalwork Magazine Vol.3
|Teaches Recipes: Make Metal Fences
The Metalwork Magazine Vol.4
|Teaches Recipes: Make Metal Sheet,
Due to the scarcity of material, if a higher level is desired it's important to maximize XP gain by reading the Metalworking skill books.
Metal barricades can be constructed at Level 0, without reading any recipe magazines or using welding rods. These barricades have much more HP than planks, making them an excellent choice for fortifying windows and doors.
Gaining XP and materials
With the propane torch and welding mask equipped, objects in the world can be disassembled by right-clicking.
Depending on the skill level, one of three things can happen:
- Regular materials + scrap metal will be awarded
- Only scrap metal will be awarded (partial failure)
- No items will be awarded (total failure)
The full experience amount will be given in all cases.
Items that can be deconstructed
Below is a list of some of the objects that can be taken apart, with the base XP beside each object.
- Car Wreck - Varying XP, depends on vehicle type
- Playground Slide - 7.5 XP
- Dumpster - 5 XP
- Large Metal Shelf - 5 XP
- Bath - 5 XP
- Fridge - 3.75 XP
- Vending Machine - 3.75 XP
- Big Locker - 2.5 XP
- Bin - 2.5 XP
- File Cabinet - 2.5 XP
- Metal Door - 2.5 XP
- Large Locker - 2.5 XP
- Oven - 2.5 XP
- Steel Counter - 2.5 XP
- Road Sign - 2.5 XP
- Clothing Dryer - 2.5 XP
- Washing Machine - 2.5 XP
- Chest Freezer - 2.5 XP
- Charcoal BBQ - 1.25 XP
- Small Locker - 1.25 XP
- Microwave - 1.25 XP
- Shower - 1.25 XP
- Sink - 1.25 XP
- Toilet - 1.25 XP
- Metal Chair - 1.25 XP
The most notable items that can be crafted with metalworking are below:
- Metal constructions can be destroyed with fire.
- It was originally planned to have blacksmithRemoved! skill in addition to metalworking for build 34. They were briefly implemented in the internal build of the game, with some items such as Smithing MagazinesRemoved! and tiles still being in game, however it was toned down and postponed with including the smelting part.